Tuesday 8 June 2010

Dissection Room




I was in the dissection room today with two of my friends. We decided to revise the anatomy of the upper and lower limbs in prep for our exam which is in about three weeks.




If you're marvelling at the image on the right, it's a picture of a man lying on a table and being studied by cadavers and a skeleton (and a skull on the stool!). I found it on Google and thought it quite amusing!

I clearly remember the first time I was introduced to the dissection room. I got lost on the way there because it's in the basement of the medical school. The first sniff of the room is always overwhelming as it's a strange mixture of formaldehyde, rotting meat and death. You sort of get used to the death part. It's the other smells you never get used to!

Anyway, back to my first experience. I went into the massive grave yard of a room (which was bright compared to what you see in movies). The sight of the bodies covered in white sheets on long bed-like trolleys was frightening. We all gathered around our designated cadavers. The lady, who was to be our tutor for the morning, was nice. She understood how terrified yet excited we all were. She explained the DR (Dissection room) rules to us and told us that we must respect and take care of the bodies and prosections, as they were donated to assist our learning. She then carefully revealed the cadaver's leg and asked us if we were OK. There was no skin or blood, just dried up muscle on bone, so it wasn't too bad. After revealing the whole body (leaving the face which was covered with a towel), she let us poke around and ask questions. I felt strange throughout. To be able to see death so close, yet be so far from it, is overpowering. DR always reminds me of death. Sometimes I find myself thinking of what that person must have been like and just that they were once living laughing individuals. I wonder if they had ever imagined being revealed head to toe, cut, have their organs taken out and put back in, and even have students say "Come have a look, this guy's got a wicked sciatic nerve!". I wonder what they must have felt like signing the form to donate their body to the hands of man. I will always wonder.

4 comments:

  1. Good stuff...keep smiling samia...your one and only GP partner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wicked! Definately interesting to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Never, have I read such a beautiful and insightful description of our dissection room. You would do Aland proud. I love the way you talk about all the senses, I can picture my first day exactly.
    And yes, I've also wondered what these people must have been like when they were a live - especially when we found one to have severe lung cancer when we opened him up for the first time.
    But all these morbid thoughts aside, I think that picture of the cadavers is exceptionally cool. And who knew such a thoughtful and talented writer hid behind the exterior of my cute-bubbly-1st-year-medic friend? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was really interesting and cool.

    ....Mystery T....

    ReplyDelete